Questions & Answers
- How should I store my Thermacell when I am not using it?
Store your Thermacell in a cool, dry place away from heat sources. You can put it in a plastic bag to keep dust and dirt out of it. Always be sure to make sure your Thermacell is working properly if it has been stored for a long period of time.
- Where can I use Thermacell area repellent mosquito protection?
The product works well in outdoor areas where there is minimal air movement, such as decks, yards, and campsites. For best coverage in still air, place the unit close to the ground. This allows repellent to spread over a maximum area.
- How often do I have to change Thermacell bug repellent mats?
A repellent mat needs to be changed when it turns white. Each mat lasts for 3 to 4 hours of continuous use.
- How often do I have to change Thermacell cartridges?
A cartridge will last up to 12 hours of continuous use and should be changed when empty.
- When I installed a new mat, I noticed that the bottom of the old mat was a dark brown color, almost as if it had burned. Should I be concerned?
No. It is normal for a spent mat to be dark brown on the bottom and almost white on the top.
- I started my Mosquito Repellent Appliance and took it outside with me, but the mosquitoes didn’t stay away. Why didn’t it work?
For best results, start the device and place it outdoors in the area of your intended activity for at least 15 minutes. It needs some time to establish the area of protection.
- My appliance worked for a while, but now it is not working. What should I do?
The fuel supply may be empty. Look at the fuel gauge on the bottom side of the unit. Turn the unit off, replace the butane cartridge, and start it as shown in the directions. Next, turn the on/off switch to the on position and let the butane gas flow for 2 minutes before hitting the start button. This will purge the appliance and often corrects the problem. If the appliance still does not function correctly after trying the above steps, you may return it for a full refund.
- I followed the directions for starting the unit. It got hot, but it did not keep the mosquitoes away from me. What should I do?
Check to be sure that the pad has blue color left. If not, replace the pad with a fresh one. If the wind is blowing, place the unit so that the wind blows over it first, then the area you want to protect. That way, the wind will carry the repellent to where you want it.
- Can I stop and start the unit or do I have to use it all at once?
You can turn the unit on and off at will. Please allow 10 to 15 minutes for Thermacell to reach maximum effectiveness. You can use a mat until it turns completely white.
- How do I know the Thermacell unit is working?
An orange light on the top of the device glows when the unit is on.
- My Thermacell device is not working correctly at high elevations. What can I do?
Thermacell mosquito appliances and lanterns will not work well at higher elevations above altitudes of around 2300m (above sea level). Above this altitude, units become difficult to start and run. The lower air density causes the problem. If you are having trouble using your Thermacell at high elevation, it is probably not a defective appliance, but just a limitation of the product at high elevation.
- When should I turn on my Thermacell product?
Thermacell will take 10 to 15 minutes to reach maximum effectiveness. Plan accordingly.
- Can I use Thermacell when it is windy?
In breezy weather, place the unit upwind of your location so that the repellent is carried by the wind into the area you want to protect.
- Should I see smoke coming from the unit?
In normal operation, a small amount of smoke may be visible coming from the pad.
- Can I use Thermacell in the rain?
Do not expose appliances or mats to rain. Their effectiveness may be diminished.
- How large of an area does one Thermacell unit protect?
One device is effective for up to 21m2, the size of an average deck or patio. Use more devices to protect larger areas.
- How do I clean a Thermacell appliance or lantern?
Wipe down with a damp rag. Never submerge in water or cleaning solution.
- Is Thermacell effective when I am walking?
Technically, Thermacell is designed to be used on a flat, stationary surface. However, customers have told us that Thermacell is very effective while walking their dog and cutting grass, for example.
- Can I use my Thermacell mats for multiple usages? (i.e. If I use a mat for one hour, can I use it again for another three hours?)
Yes, you can use Thermacell mats for a period of time less than four hours and they will still be just as effective. If there is going to be a significant amount of time between usages (several days +), we typically suggest that you keep the mats in their foil packaging or in a sealed sandwich bag between uses.
- Can I bring my Thermacell on a passenger airplane when I travel?
IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations state that you cannot bring Thermacell butane cartridges on a passenger aircraft or airline. We suggest that you bring your Thermacell appliance or lantern, and the mats with you, but purchase the butane cartridges at your destination. Thermacell products are sold in over 25 countries including Australia, New Zealand, North America, Canada, Europe, Africa and Asia.
- I have a Backpacker Repeller. What type of Gas Cartridge is best suited?
The Backpacker should only be used with Camping Gas cartridges that meet Standard EN 417. Various Butane/Propane/Isopropane mixes will all work. For best performance, propane % should not exceed 30%.
- I have a Backpacker Repeller, but the flame seems to continually blow out.
Ensure the Gas Canister is threaded in squarely and properly engaged within the unit. If in doubt, remove and reinsert canister.